Mary Alice's roommate in college was a vegetarian... she's now vegan. That's an important bit of information for you to know, because once upon a time, she and Mary Alice walked together in the Chinese Kitchen to get some lunch. For those of you not familiar with the Chinese Kitchen, it's a little dive over near campus that is run by the sweetest little lady ever... and she is very Chinese. Anyway, while perusing the buffet Laura spots something of interest, but needs to confirm the lack of meat in the item which has caught her eye. She proceeds to ask the very Chinese proprietor if there is any meat in said item, to which the response comes back "No meat... just beef and pork".
"Lost in translation". You can prepare something, plan it, and serve it, but sometimes there's just a little piece that you just can't explain. That's pretty much how I feel during the holidays a lot of the time. I love the Christmas season. I love the imagery, the smells, & the music. I have the house decorated by the weekend after Thanksgiving, no excuses, but there is also a sadness to this season for me that I just can't put my finger on. If I sit down to dwell on it, I think it may come be a question of faith. I really wrestle with what this season represents as a Believer, and reconciling that with what this season means as an Americanized Western Christian. I find it so hard to know what to do with Santa when it comes to our 3 year-old, because I want him to enjoy all of the magic of Christmas, but I also want to be true to... well... I want him to think first of Jesus, then of Santa. Maybe that's crazy, but I would say that it's only so because we have allowed it to become so. It's only so because I, at 30, think of Santa and trees and family get togethers, then Jesus and mangers. Jesus' first breath... the first time the hand of God wrapped around the finger of His mother... his first smile. God with us, Emmanuel.
Welcome to my Christmas conundrum... my "no meat, just beef and pork" Christmas. My celebration that is full of wonderful things, but somehow is not filling. I hope that Jack sees me in a few of those moments when I slow down and picture a 3 year old Jesus in the excited eyes of my little boy. I hope that one day soon Jack will know that this season is a celebration of a gift already given... a gift that was, at one time, a 3 year old just like him who liked to play and run and laugh.
I love to think of Jesus as a child. I wonder what it's like to experience one's own creation from "the other side". Like I said earlier, I love to think of his first smile, his first real friendship, maybe even a first crush? Why not? I love to think of him being able to enjoy sunsets, wading into a pool of cool water to cool off on a hot day. I think that maybe, even though he knew what was to come at the end, just maybe there were a few moments on his life where he was able to sit back and watch people enjoy his creation and taste for himself that it is, indeed, good. May we have some such moments as we celebrate his coming to enjoy them among us.
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amen. We also struggle with the whole Santa thing. I'll just go ahead and tell you it doesn't get easier. You want to hold on to their innocence as long as you can, but at the same time, you want them to always think of Jesus first. Jordan turned eight today and we still struggle. My advice? Just enjoy this year and worry about it later ;) Jack knows how much you and Mary Alice love Jesus.
Um, just found this and half to say that I actually did a rendition of "no meat... just pork & beef" in the cafeteria today since they were serving Chinese! Hilarious...
Post a Comment